This post is about Cloud Migration changes in BC 19 wave 2. If you want to read more about the original Cloud Migration have a llook at my previous blog post on migating from GP.
With BC 19 wave 2 Microsoft improved the Cloud Migration functionality by re-designing the migration flow, cleaning up the errors reported by the partners over the summer, allowing migration of a larger set of GP tables with one additional extension installation, and removing the version 18 size limitations.
Improved migration flow
- search “cloud migration management”
- go through “Cloud Migration Setup”
- before version 19, the replication and data upgrade were done in one step
- now we have 2 separate steps triggered from the Migration Cloud Management page actions:
- “Run Migration Now” – for copy/replication; at the end the last “Cloud Migration Management” entry shows “Upgrade Pending”
- “Run Data Upgrade Now” – once data is copied it has to be validated/upgraded. Status will move through “Upgrade in Progress” and Completed.
The split of the unique process “Run Migration Now” into two steps was introduced to better manage cases when the data upgrade would fail.
If this is the case, then in the admin center you can restore the environment as of the time of end of the replication step and repeat the data upgrade.
Cloud migration resiliency
- use of upgrade tags: to avoid multiple data upgrades processing use Upgrade Tags or to completely skip the upgrade. More here.
- less locking when running cloud migration (more companies per run). There is still a limitation if schema for migrated tables is above a json object limit of 4 Mb. To avoid locking, migrate companies in smaller chunks. Especially if you get an error like this:
- The size of the lookup activity result exceeds the limitation …
- data repair after Cloud Migration: some data would be missing while migration would be reported as successful in the previous version
Dynamics GP migration changes
- Enabled large GP tables (> 500 mb or > 100k records)
- Support mapping of any custom table
- add events for GP to BC migration:
80 GB limitation was lifted. Any size is now supported.
Cleanup as much as possible before cloud migration.
Some functionality may be disabled after cloud migration if tenant is too large. For ex. you might not be able to create a sandbox from Production if your capacity is 80 GB and you reached already 80 GB with your Production. Alternatively, you can upgrade capacity.
Hope you find useful this succint presentation on changes around cloud migration in BC 19 wave 2.